Friday, July 27, 2012

Haines is gorgeous

Day 41 July 25. Tok, AK to Destruction Bay, Yukon. Riding distance 61 mi. My distance 43 miles.

We got a late start from Tok to get a new tire. Turns out we've damaged three of my tires now from hitting pot holes, which tears the steel belts, which causes a big bald spot, and then the tread separates and can fall completely off. We decided to get the new tire before it separated out in the middle of nowhere while riding.

We then drove all together with the bikes, south into Canada, until we were about 120 miles from our destination. We then took turns driving 20 miles and riding. I got two turns in before my turn to drive, and after that we needed to pack up and drive to Destruction Bay because it was getting late in the afternoon.

Destruction Bay is right on the huge Lake Kluane, a beautiful, unspoiled masterpiece. The only photo I took today was this grizzly:

Day 42. July 26. Destruction Bay, Yukon to Haines, AK. Distance 134 mi.


We left early, 7:30, and rode until 4:20 pm. Then we packed up the bikes and drove across into the U.S. again and on into Haines. It was one of the most gorgeous, scenic days of this entire trip! Snow-covered mountains in all directions, lakes galore, rivers, more mountains, grizzly bears, and bald eagles. Rick took a day off from riding, so drove the RV the entire day for us.

This was our best grizzly sighting yet:
All I can do is post photos to show how incredible yesterday was:
That one is the southern end of the 50-mile-long Lake Kluane. Here are several more along the ride:
Such a nice picture of Jessica, isn't it?
On the photo above, Rick set it up for the timer and then ran to get in it. Trouble was, he ran to the wrong side and is left out. Even I am almost left out, but you can see it's me.
There's an eagle out there on the tree branch.

We eventually reached Haines. It is a pretty city on an ocean inlet, Lynn Canal, as it heads toward Skagway, where the cruise ships dock. I haven't seen any go by yet, though. Last evening after we arrived, we bought two fresh crabs the fishermen had brought in earlier in the day, and ate those on our picnic table right on the bay. What a yummy appetizer!
I thought I'd include this photo of Bob stretching as we drove toward Haines:
Last night, Jessica made hamburgers and they ate at our picnic table overlooking the bay, while I ate salmon at the restaurant next door. While there, I arranged for a massage this morning, which I need to leave for now in the rain. Then we'll be loading onto a ferry to sail up to Skagway.







1 comment:

  1. Ken, contact me. Just finished reading your excellent book. michael.coburn7@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete