Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Amazing Scenery, and Stone Sheep

Day 19 Tetsa River to Muncho Lake. Distance 85 mi. My distance 76 mi.

Aren't these Stone sheep cute? The tour books said we'd probably see them, and sure enough! They are indigenous to the area we crossed through today, which was below Stone Mountain. We watched this family walk along the ridge for a while, then moved on and saw a ram with full horns. So cool.

We also saw a moose in the stereotypical pond, eating vegetation. My other photo shows his head in the water, but I'll post this one. After this, I got ahead of Rick and Bob, and THEY got to see our first bull moose. They both got fabulous photos, so you'll have to read the Five For Alaska blog to see him.

Today had incredibly amazing scenery. It rates right there with our days on the Icefields Parkway in Alberta, although the actual scenery was different because no snow. It reminded me of Yosemite, minus the waterfalls. Here's one view with Derek riding along:
We had three RV drivers today, and I was lucky to be the 2nd one. Why? Because the 1st and 3rd legs had the best scenery, while the 2nd had the terrible roadway under renovation. One gravel section was so deep that Derek took a fall (he's okay).

In the first leg, we rode to Summit Lake, which is the highest point on the Alaska Hwy (4266 feet). Here's a photo of Bert and me, with Stone Mtn in the background (treeless):
I think for the rest of this blog posting, I will just provide photos. There aren't any particular stories to relate; it was just a fabulous route to ride a bike, with the bonuses of the Stone sheep and moose. It rained near the end. Oh, I did have to wait for construction crews while I was driving, and it was such a long wait I was able to completely clean the motorhome. It's best to do when there's no one coming and going, so I don't have very many opportunities. I am typing this at dinner in a fancy restaurant, owned by a Swiss couple who immigrated to Canada and built this year-round hotel in 1995.

Okay, now just photos:
That is Summit Lake.
That's Rick on a thrilling, scenic descent.

Bob and Rick on a long climb.
Even though it was raining at the time, I just had to stop and get this photo. I figure it's British Columbia's version of The Grand Tetons.
This is Lake Muncho where we are tonight. At 350 ft, it's the deepest lake in the Rockies. It's said to be the 2nd prettiest lake in the Rockies next to Lake Louise.






No comments:

Post a Comment