Monday, July 16, 2012

Glacier Views

Day 32 Gakona to Grandview Campground (100 mi from Anchorage). Distance 99 mi. My distance 70 mi. My total mileage - 2245 mi.

See that glacier off in the distance? It was one of about five we saw today to the south of us. The biggest and most spectacular one I did not get a photo of since I was driving and there was no place to pull over. It was the Nelchina Glacier. I don't know the name of the one in this photo.

Yes, we had grand scenery today, reminding me of the Alps or the Icefields Parkway back in Alberta. When I took this photo, the mountains were still far off, but later they rose near both sides of the highway in dramatic fashion.
Here was a lake completely covered with lily pads:
As you can see from my clothing, it was cold, and on-and-off rainy AGAIN today. The day started off not as scenic as usual, but that sure changed as we got farther along. Early in the day, a big mean pit bull charged out of its yard at me, but then saw Bob right behind and he was easier prey. Luckily Bob got him to back off as the chase went right down the middle of Alaska Hwy 1. Turns out that the lead rider, Rick, also got chased by the same beast.

I took this picture at our first break, 24 miles. Interesting roof decor:
Yes, the scenery got to be spectacular while I was the third driver between miles 46 and 75. Here are some pictures while I was the driver:
I rode the final 23 miles while Rick drove. I happened to be with Bob when he got his first flat tire of the trip, even with those huge tough tires of his. So, now we all have had at least one flat.

Still no wildlife to be seen since we entered Alaska, other than the pit bull and some foxes. We all think it's so strange that our sightings have ended.

Here are a few of my photos during today's final segment.
Can you see the small glacier in the distance? Such fantastic views today.

Our campground has wonderful views too (it's called Grandview). We are very close to the Matanuska Glacier. I did a load of laundry and cooked up the final item in our refrig/freezer that's been there from the beginning - the turkey burgers. Now I just need to go to sleep and tomorrow will be the start of a wonderful week. Jessica Brown and Tomoko Stock are arriving tonight in Anchorage, staying at an airport hotel. Janet arrives about noon, will get the car rental, pick up the others, and then they'll drive north and east until they come to us riding in the opposite direction. Will be fun!

By the way, cell phone reception has been remarkably good ever since we arrived in Tok. It is so nice to be able to talk to Janet, Brian, Katie, and to deal with the outside world. Verizon's coverage map showed only Anchorage and Fairbanks, but we're getting it everywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment